Thursday, May 8, 2008

Scenes From the Airport

Last Thursday I flew US Air out of Sky Harbor for St. Louis for a business trip. I waited at gate A12 for my zone to be called when I noticed a woman crying. Close to my age, she was blond, medium build in denim capris and a red hoodie that matched the rims of her eyes. It’s unusual to see people crying at the gate since only ticketholders are allowed. Now good byes take place before the security line and most folks are composed and collected by the time they reach the gate. I was curious about her tears. Was she crying over someone she left behind at the escalator? Was she on her way to a funeral? To see a dying relative? I followed her eyes to a young man perhaps 19 with short cropped light hair, camouflage jacket and duffle bag. The look of a new recruit.


They took his boarding pass and he started toward the jetway. And then I saw his dad. A short man, stocky, probably a wrestler in high school. He refused to surrender the tears brimming his eyes. Their son turned and waved. In contrast to his parents, he wore a lopsided grin and was oblivious to the anguish swimming in the waiting area. Mom and dad were already holding each other in a tight cocoon and missed his wave. They silently began their walk back through the terminal and the dad reached over and put his arm around the mom.

I have a theory that it’s inevitable your children will break your heart. I knew I had just witnessed my theory in practice. Their sweet little boy had made a decision that will break his mother’s heart beyond anything I can imagine.

Right before Mothers Day it seems appropriate to pay tribute to all the mom's out there who have left their kids at the airport. I hope they hear from their kids on Sunday.

(BTW, if you'd like to help any of the soliders, visit this web site to see what you can do to help them be a little more comfortable http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Mia! You have me in tears over this one. Thank you so much for the reminder - If my kids don't call me on Mother's day I will NOT feel sorry for myself. I am thankful that they are just busy and forgetful - not fighting a war far, far away.