Monday, March 30, 2009

Betty Ford Part II


Yesterday we had lunch at Jason's Deli. Had a yummy club sandwich with a cup of soup. The place was packed. Enjoyed the people watching. Just as I took a bite, a woman walked by sporting a baseball cap that said "Betty Ford Center". Really?

There are no rules anymore, are there? Why would you wear that? I know, I know, you're proud of yourself for finishing the Program. I wonder who thought of having a gift shop at the Betty Ford Center. Is it full of caps and pens and souvenir key chains?

I don't know. It just struck me as a strange logo item to wear. It made me a little sad. I wanted to enjoy my lunch and not think about the troubles around me. I wanted to spy on the senior citizens across the way who ate off each others' plates and I watched as the grade school boy made a second trip to the free ice cream. There was a table of eight, all ages who seemed to be celebrating something and next to us were 4 older ladies sans men either by choice or circumstance. They ate their salads in between laughter and whispers. I prefer those tables and not thinking about the realities of things like addiction and other human foibles.

Is there a gift shop at the prison? at traffic school? AA? Can you get a souvenir t-shirt after your colonoscopy?

No comments: