Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Devil Is In the Details


When I graduated from Arizona State University, I had no idea I was getting my bachelors degree from a place with such high standards. I thought I had a solid education from a state university. It’s not like graduating from an Ivy League institution or a prestigious private university where students are held more accountable for their education but nevertheless a good education. Well, I am definitely rethinking my feelings about my degree.


Little did I know, the Sun Devils have raised the bar on success. You see, President Obama is scheduled to give the commencement address at ASU this year. I guess in this situation it is typical to award the speaker with an honorary doctoral degree. But it seems ASU has decided that because President Obama is relatively young and his body of work is still ahead of him, they will not give our new president an honorary degree. (A few days after announcing this, they did say they are naming their highest scholarship after him. So his best work may be ahead of him and not worthy of an honorary Ph.D., but his degree from Harvard, his teaching experience at Harvard, his experience as a community organizer, his years in the Senate and finally his job as President of the U.S. are worthy of a scholarship program.)

Wow.

I have been holding my head up a little higher lately. I did not realize that I hold a Bachelors Degree from a university with these lofty standards. Standards that view the position of president of the United States as an entry level job.

Go Devils.

No comments: